With scooters being deployed in the city last year, staff recognized that policies to support the needs of the Austin community required quantitative and qualitative research to develop insights to support positive outcomes.
Solution / Approach
The team attempted to conduct interviews with nearly 300 injured individuals. The team made over 600 telephone calls, mailed nearly 200 letters, and sent almost 100 text messages in outreach to patients. The team collaborated with hospitals, CDC, local, state, and national media. Findings of this study will be used to guide policies and rules in cities throughout the United States to make electric scooter use safer.
- Epidemiology and Disease Unit
- Epidemiology and Public Health Preporedeness Division
- Centers for Disease Control
- Austin-Travis County Emergency Medical Services
- Emergency Department
- Austin Transportation Department
- Ascension Seton Family of Hospitals
- St. David’s Healthcare